The Federal Republic of Nigeria, through the Department of Climate Change in the Federal Ministry of Environment, invites applications from suitable candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Develop a Stakeholder Engagement Strategy and National Adaptation Planning Process Road Map
Type Of The Contract: Individual Contract
Duration: Task 1 – 30 working days
Task: 2 – 60 working days
The Federal Republic of Nigeria, through the Department of Climate Change in the Federal Ministry of Environment, has received a grant from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) for a project to build capacity to advance National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process in Nigeria. The grant Agreement have the UN Environment as the Delivery Partner for the project, with the role of supporting and overseeing the project implementation. The project entitled “Strengthening Nigeria’s Capacity to Advance the NAP Process” which was officially launched on the 2nd December 2021, will support Multi-Sectoral, medium to long term Adaptation planning and budgeting in Nigeria and promote the integration of climate change adaptation aspects into development planning processes and policies. Systems for developing and sharing climate risk and vulnerability information will be reinforced, and sustainable financing mechanism for Climate Change Adaptation initiatives are set to be developed
- The objective of this project is to formulate the Nigeria’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) with a focus on long term adaptation investment and enhancing national capacity for integration of climate change adaptation in planning, budgeting and financial tracking processes.
- Effective Stakeholder Engagement enhances the transparency, accountability, integrity, effectiveness and sustainability of the National Adaptation Planning process by strengthening the implementation of the process and reducing risks.
- Effective Stakeholder Engagement promotes country ownership by forging stronger partnerships, particularly with civil society, Indigenous Peoples, communities and the private sector, and by harnessing the knowledge, experience and capabilities of affected and interested individuals and groups.
- Stakeholder engagement is critical to ensuring an effective flow of information, maximization of local expertise, added credibility and enhanced climate awareness.
- Collaboration with key actors should include a broad constituency, including finance and technical experts, research organizations, civil society organizations, private sector, vulnerable populations and youth, minority and gender groups. This range of stakeholders are potential sources of: information and data for identifying gaps and constraints; expertise for innovative approaches and solutions; and partnerships to address market, technological, and risk barriers to entry for transformational investments.
- The Department of climate change therefore wishes to engage the services of an experienced expert to develop Nigeria’s stakeholder engagement strategy.
Objective of the Assignment
- To develop a stakeholder engagement strategy to promote the inclusive and meaningful participation of Stakeholders in the National Adaptation Planning process to improve the effectiveness and impact of the process and in accordance with its Roadmap.
Task 1: Mapping and Stakeholder Analysis:
- Develop a mapping and stakeholder analysis of the stakeholder groups with power and interest in the NAP process. These should include stakeholder groups and individuals in the public and private sectors, at the national and sub-national level. For stakeholders with high power but low interest, design an engagement strategy that increases the interest and positive impact of the stakeholder/group; for stakeholders with high interest but low power, design an engagement strategy that increases the collective influence of the group.
Task 2: Develop stakeholder engagement strategy:
- Develop the stakeholder engagement strategy. This should include:
- The consultation schedule and details of how the findings will be fed into each of the four components of the NAP process;
- Opportunities to participate in standing or planned national/sub-national events to promote the NAP process;
- How the engagement strategy will interact with, and contribute to, the NAP communications strategy and the range of substantive activities planned during the NAP project work plan.
- An analysis of the risks of disenfranchisement or lack of ownership of the NAP process on i) weakened progress and ii) weakened impact and how to avert or minimize those risks.
- Recommendations for the institutional arrangements for the NAP process to minimize risks and to maximise the impact of the NAP process, which will inform the design of NAP road-map so that it captures all possible opportunities to make it effective and to minimize risks; Ensure that engagement of stakeholder is sensitive to gender issues and representation, social inclusiveness and considers vulnerable groups and/or communities.
- A stakeholder engagement strategy and NAP road map to maximize impact and minimize risks, targeting specific c stakeholder groups and, if relevant, individuals with activities, timeline and budget.
- At least Master’s Degree in an Environmental Science, Climate Change, Economics, Development Studies, Public Policy or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 10 years’ relevant work experience at the international level in relation to climate change adaptation planning and policy, and integration of climate change into national development processes and sector policies and strategies.
- At least two previous similar assignments related to preparing facilitating and elaborating stakeholder engagement strategies, preferably related to environmental planning processes.
- Demonstrated previous experience in leading and facilitating high-level multi-stakeholder consultative processes.
- Demonstrated previous work experience in programmes and projects related to ecosystem-based adaptation, climate change/natural resource management, and/or monitoring and reporting of environment, climate and/or development policies and plans.
- Skills and experience to facilitate internet-based virtual meetings and stakeholder consultation processes.
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills are required.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit Five (5) copies of their Proposals (Technical & Financial) in separate sealed envelopes, with the title of the Consultancy clearly marked at the back of the sealed envelope, to:
The National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Project Secretariat,
Department of Climate Change, Green Building,
Federal Ministry of Environment,
Plot 444, Aguiyi-Ironsi Street,
Note: All enquiries should be directed to: email@example.com