The Federal Republic of Nigeria, through the Department of Climate Change in the Federal Ministry of Environment invites applications from suitable candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Mainstreaming Priority Adaptation Options into National and Subnational Development Plans and Budgets, and Sector Policies, Plans and Budgets
Type of Contract: Individual Consultant
Duration: 180 working days
The Federal Republic of Nigeria, through the Department of Climate Change in the Federal Ministry of Environment, has received a grant from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) for a project to build capacity to advance National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process in Nigeria. The grant Agreement have the UN Environment as the Delivery Partner for the project, with the role of supporting and overseeing the project implementation. The project entitled “Strengthening Nigeria’s Capacity to Advance the NAP Process” which was officially launched on the 2nd December 2021, will support Multi-Sectoral, medium to long term Adaptation planning and budgeting in Nigeria and promote the integration of climate change adaptation aspects into development planning processes and policies. Systems for developing and sharing climate risk and vulnerability information will be reinforced, and sustainable financing mechanism for Climate Change Adaptation initiatives are set to be developed
- The objective of this project is to formulate the Nigeria’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) with a focus on long term adaptation investment and enhancing national capacity for integration of climate change adaptation in planning, budgeting and financial tracking processes.
Objective of the Assignment
- To elaborate strategies and action plans for mainstreaming NAP priority programmes and actions into national and subnational development plans andbudgets, and sector policies, plans and budgets to enable implementation of adaptation actions.
- This will take forward the adaptation priority programmes and actions that are contained in the (draft) NAP document.
Task 1: Screen sector/level/sub-national level development plans and budgets against climate change risks:
- Develop a screening methodology to identify climate change vulnerabilities and mis-alignment (where current investments contribute to vulnerability to climate change) in the current sector- based approach;
- Screen sector-based plans and capital investments against the climate change risk assessments to identify the main areas of vulnerability and mis-alignment to the NAP priorities.
- Review current sector policy and programme targets and spending plans and provide recommendations on it here modifications would be needed for alignment of the sector spending plan with the NAP priorities.
- Present the findings to NAP working groups, log the concerns and agree on a work plan (set of actions and further studies) for further scoping of the issues and possible solutions with the ultimate aim of aligning adaptation actions into sector spending plans and targets;
Task 2: Develop sector-level/sub-national level adaptation strategies:
- Develop thirteen sector-level adaptation strategies and action plans building on the evidence base developed for the NAP process (e.g. available studies and reports); the screening exercise carried out above, identified entry points, recommended targets with a set of recommendations for further work in contested areas of the sector- based spending plan;
- Validate the sector-level adaptation strategies and action plans with the NAP working groups and finalize them based on feedback.
- Prepare a draft proposal for NDA capacity building proposal and work plan to further scope the options for mainstreaming into sector plans and budgets in areas that are have not gained sufficient mainstreaming traction, paying due regard to what the information gaps are; who needs to be invoked in the process and planning cycle entry points that could be used as mainstreaming entry points.
- An inception report setting out the methodology and work plan for the assignment;
- A report containing the screening exercise and findings of thirteen sector plans, budgets and targets; and opportunities for integrating adaptation into national development plan and budget processes;
- A report with recommendations on where modifications would be needed for alignment of the sector spending plan with the NAP priorities;
- Minutes and workshop reports with the NAP lurking groups
- Thirteen sector-based mainstreaming adaptation strategies and action plans;
- Draft GCF readiness proposal(s) for further work to mainstreaming NAP
- priorities in to sector plans and budgets.
Academic Qualifications:The successful candidate will have the following profile:
- A post-graduate Degree in either climate Change, Environmental Management, Public Policy, or related science or Social Science Degree.
- At least 10 years of previous work experience in climate and environment policy making and planning related to adaptation and cross-sectorial policy and planning processes with national and sub- national government institutions and their partners (e.g. civil society, technical partners, private sector).
- At least two similar assignments of supporting Government institutions to integrate climate change adaptation and/or environmental issue into national development plans, and /or sector policies, plans and budgets.
- Previous work experience is required;
- Excellent communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize documents and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports and documents.
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high-ranking members of international, regional and national institutions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit Five (5) copies of their Proposals (Technical & Financial) in separate sealed envelopes, with the title of the Consultancy clearly marked at the back of the sealed envelope, to:
The National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Project Secretariat,
Department of Climate Change, Green Building,
Federal Ministry of Environment,
Plot 444, Aguiyi-Ironsi Street,
Note: All enquiries should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org